Our hospital, originally opened as Ellington Memorial Hospital in 1936, with 11 beds, was the first and only hospital in Cass County. With continued population growth from the oil industry and the newly constructed International Paper mill, a new public hospital was built using federal dollars, bond sale proceeds and matched funds donated. Atlanta Memorial Hospital was opened March 1, 1972.
Time and need continued to change and shape the healthcare services in Atlanta. The 1990’s saw the addition of New Attitudes fitness center, a spacious new patient wing and a professional office building to Atlanta Memorial Hospital. A Medical Plaza was opened in 2008 to house a variety of outpatient specialty clinics and health education services for the hospital.
Recognizing the changing climate of healthcare reimbursement, growing community need, increased cost of capital improvements, and need to move to the next generation of technology, The Board of Trustees sought a new partner that could help our hospital continue. In January 2013, our community hospital partnered with CHRISTUS St. Michael Health System and continues with their mission to “Extend the healing ministry of Jesus Christ.” Our healthcare ministry provides emergency care, inpatient care, and outpatient services to patients within our immediate and surrounding community regardless of ability to pay.
CHRISTUS St. Michael Hospital – Atlanta remains the ONLY hospital in Cass County, serving healthcare needs and making an economic impact on Atlanta and surrounding communities.
Because of a dedicated volunteer Board of Directors, The Foundation has been an integral part of this growth and success through the years. The Foundation continually seeks funds by donation to continue the mission of CHRISTUS St. Michael Hospital – Atlanta to improve current services and add new services to meet the needs of patients in Cass County.